- Please note: this is NOT a thorough summary of all the amazing presentations delivered at the 2015 MuseumNext conference, which took place Sept. 25-26. (A terrific comprehensive summary by Margaret James is available here.) Rather, this is a quick compilation of (what WE think were) some of the best and most thought-provoking tweets that came from the conference. We hope our summary will lay some solid groundwork for those who did AND did not attend to join our #MuseumWorkersSpeak tweet chat on Oct. 7, which will reflect on some questions brought up by the lively discussions at MuseumNext.
- First, some highlights from the Friday sessions, starting with a presentation by Sarah Schultz:
- — Laura Holzman (@HolzmanLaura)Fri, Sep 25 2015 13:58:49
- — *like the bird* (@Ravon_Ashley)Fri, Sep 25 2015 14:46:12How are we valuing the labor of our community-partners? #MuseumWorkersSpeak https://twitter.com/greenbergalyssa/status/647420402474614786 …
- — Dr Amy Hetherington (@akhetherington)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:11:28For LGBT interpretation, choose your team wisely and beware doing it simply as a labour of love. #MuseumNext
- — *like the bird* (@Ravon_Ashley)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:12:42
- — Alicia Akins (@aj_waso)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:23:19
- — Dr Amy Hetherington (@akhetherington)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:24:00What happens when you realise your lecture series audience are often the same people? #MuseumNext
- — Dr Amy Hetherington (@akhetherington)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:26:17Varying the lecture topic isn't enough, must vary the type, subject, level, style, everything! #MuseumNext
- — SarahSchultz (@SarahSchultz)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:53:09
- — Emily Hellmuth (@emilyhellmuth)Fri, Sep 25 2015 15:55:58
- — Masum Momaya (@MasumMomaya)Fri, Sep 25 2015 16:06:51
- — Mar Dixon (@MarDixon)Fri, Sep 25 2015 16:11:32#MuseumNext Museums have shifted from academia to emotive (they need to recognise that) - storytelling is a great way to bridge that gap.
- A session from Masum Momaya and Monica Montgomery got great responses (and talked about #MuseumWorkersSpeak!):
MuseumNext: some highlights from the conference (in person and online)
MuseumNext Indianapolis: "The Inclusive Museum," Sept. 25-26, 2015