- It all started when the Daily Free Press, the main student newspaper at Boston University, decided to release their April Fool's edition.
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Sun, Apr 01 2012 22:58:29Want a laugh? Pick up the FreeP tomorrow for our annual April Fools issue and your dreams will come true.
- Since April 1st fell on a Sunday this year, the issue didn't go into print until Monday, April 2nd. The content was a bit startling.
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 17:53:22
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:01:25Another @dailyfreepress headline "Cinderella in Political Prostitution Ring" describes FBI agent arresting the princess after she blows him.
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:09:21
- — Michelle Weiser (@MWeiser22)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:14:02
- Needless to say, many people were outraged.
- — Brittney McNamara (@Brittneymac15)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:02:35The @dailyfreepress continually perpetuates rape culture on campus. Do not pick it up. Ever. Even for the crossword.
- — Keori (@TheRealKeori)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:51:45Reading the sick victim-blaming rape-endorsing shit from @dailyfreepress is turning my stomach. Are you animals? What is WRONG with you ppl?
- Trying to do damage control, the Daily Free Press issued out two tweets:
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:56:57We want to apologize for our ill thought out April Fools issue and are so sorry for offending our readers.
- — The Daily Free Press (@dailyfreepress)Mon, Apr 02 2012 18:58:43We know an apology does not make up for the callous decisions we made, but please look out for a letter from the editors in tomorrow issue.
- By then, news about the issue had already gone viral. Everyone weighed in with reactions.
- — brian neogonzo (@dontneedroads)Mon, Apr 02 2012 19:15:07if anyone has scans/clips from BU's @dailyfreepress issue - please post links. really disappointing/disgusting stuff being heard.
- — Pam Chen (@pamelabunny)Mon, Apr 02 2012 19:19:14And we all used to joke that no one read the @dailyfreepress.. yesterday's issue confirms why we will never read it again. So disappointing.
The Daily Free Press's April Fools Fiasco
Disliked College Paper Somehow Manages To Become More Hated Among BU Students
byKevin Wang17,913 Views