- The American Copy Editors Society, now rebranded The Society for Editing, is full of esteemed word nerds who uphold all that is right with grammar, style and punctuation. You may be surprised to learn that most copy editors allow for fluidity in "rules," recognizing that the goal is to help the readers, not rigidly adhere to style guides. A few highlights from #ACES2017 in March.
- — Melanie Powers (@MelEdits)Thu, Mar 23 2017 13:03:41
- A few random editing tips to keep in mind from various sessions:
- — Frannie Sprouls (@Frannie_Sprouls)Thu, Mar 23 2017 14:17:07When readers see brackets, they wonder why. They are no longer engaged. You’re solving your problem at the audience’s expense. #ACES2017
- — Melanie Powers (@MelEdits)Thu, Mar 23 2017 14:35:35
- — Melanie Powers (@MelEdits)Thu, Mar 23 2017 14:38:26Great tip. Reading aloud can help with a lot of fixes. #ACES2017 https://twitter.com/frannie_sprouls/status/844920878559318016 …
- — Melanie Powers (@MelEdits)Thu, Mar 23 2017 14:48:07
- The Chicago Manual of Style announced its latest rule changes at ACES2017. A print version of their latest edition will be available in September 2017.
- — Julie Munden (@juliemunden)Thu, Mar 23 2017 15:36:02
- — Lauren Bragg (@lnbragg_)Thu, Mar 23 2017 15:35:55
- — Melanie Powers (@MelEdits)Thu, Mar 23 2017 15:38:48AP & Chicago both now lowercase internet. It's time, membership associations. #amp17 #assnchat https://twitter.com/hashtaggrammar/status/844935708452249601 …
- — Jevon Oakman Bolden (@jevonbolden)Thu, Mar 23 2017 15:43:50The 17th edition of CMOS will have citation recommendations for Twitter, Facebook, and other popular social media platforms. #ACES2017
- Chicago opens the door to singular they. Get the full scoop at http://www.copydesk.org/blog/2017/03/23/cmos-tackles-social-changes-advancing-technology-in-updates-for-17th-edition/ ….
- — Dragonfly Editorial (@DragonflyEdit)Thu, Mar 23 2017 16:16:03
- AP Stylebook buried the lede, waiting to the end of the session to announce they were opening the door to the "singular they."
Editing (and Writing) Tips, including updates from the Associated Press Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style
AP and Chicago embrace singular they
byMelanie Powers32 Views