The 'Test Me, Treat Me' Manifesto petition was created by patients and Medecins Sans Frontieres staff to demand urgent action by governments, multilateral institutions, the research community and pharma companies so as to urgently improve the chances for people to survive drug-resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB) - Sign it NOW!
- The DR-TB Manifesto petition has three demands:1. Universal access to DR-TB diagnosis and treatment now2. Better DR-TB treatment regimens3. Sufficient funding to meet these goals
- Join us today - World TB Day - to create a Twitterstorm - and tweet out the DR-TB manifesto demands...
- For the first time in fifty years, there are two new drugs that have been registered, and several more in the pipeline, making this an historic opportunity to demand better treatment regimens for TB patients:
- This is Phumeza. She co-wrote the DR-TB Manifesto along with Dr Jennifer Hughes. She has recently been cured of XDR-TB, and has been keeping a blog about her experiences:
- “Instead of celebrating zero TB deaths on World TB Day, someone is dying and many are sharing their depressing stories caused by TB. Happy World TB Day? I’ll be excited the day where there will be ONE drug for DR-TB, non toxic, and the day where there will be zero TB deaths. Now that day I will call it, HAPPY WORLD TB DAY!!”
- You find out more about the lives of patients suffering from MDR TB in Swaziland via this powerful BBC documentary film.
Why is the 'Test Me, Treat Me' Manifesto campaign needed?
- The facts are shocking: Less than 20% of people with DR-TB receive proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Those who are 'lucky' enough to be treated face two years of gruelling medication and injections, with brutal side effects
- This medication can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, muscle aches, hair loss, depression, suicidal feelings and deafness
- After all that, the success rate is around 50%. A one in two chance of making it through.