- On May 12, we gathered to learn about new research on the effects of parental incarceration on youth.
- Incarceration of parents has a strong impact on youth. The data reveal just how far the impacts reach.
- We held the forum at Wilder Center in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- Guests included teachers, executive directors, corrections officials, youth workers, nonprofit program staff, state agency staff, researchers, and others dedicated to understanding how incarceration affects Minnesota families.
- MNSFAI, a collaborative of partners across the state, hosted the forum. Find out more about how SFAI is striving to strengthen Minnesota families.
- At the forum, we heard from researchers, corrections staff, a school administrator, and people who experienced incarceration and chemical challenges firsthand.
- Julie Atella, research scientist at Wilder Research, welcomed us to the forum. Wilder Research assisted with analysis of the 2013 Minnesota Student Survey to understand how parental incarceration affects students.
- Wilder Research summarized the findings in an infographic (direct link to PDF download).
- Learn more about the role of Wilder Research in the SFAI collaborative.
- Rebecca Shlafer, assistant professor at the University of Minnesota, shared more about the findings from analysis of the 2013 Minnesota Student Survey.