Welcome to #citychat and chat instructions:
- — MIT CoLab (@MITCoLab)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:00:40This #citychat – post-disaster planning - is about reconstructing cities after disaster and humanitarian agencies' and others' role in that.
- — MIT CoLab (@MITCoLab)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:01:55
- — Thinking Development (@thinkingdevelop)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:01:08Just about to join #citychat on (re)constructing the city: what is urban design for Haiti?....
Participants discussed 5 questions during the chat:
Q1) What role should humanitarian organizations play after a disaster? What role should city planners play?
Q2) Is there a tension between targeting vulnerable individuals and the public good and, if so, how can it be reconciled?
Q3) What happens if the local government - that usually decides on standards or gives approvals - has no capacity?
Q4) Govt + humanitarian bureaucracies tend to organise in sectors. Does this fit with day-to-day life or making future city plans?
Q5) How significant is humanitarian action in reconstructing the city compared to the contributions of others?
- — UnderTentsHaiti (@UnderTentsHaiti)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:05:32A1) Humanitarian agencies must work 2gether w/planners, under leadership of govt. Each has a specialty & can inform the other. #citychat
- — Alison Killing (@alisonkilling)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:05:56
- — Juan Constain (@jconstain)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:06:49
- — Darren Gill (@charengai)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:08:45
- — TPF² 東北プラニングフォーラム (@TPFsquare)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:08:59Best recovery projects/plans were achieved in places where planners had established contacts to communities prior to the disaster. #citychat
- — UnderTentsHaiti (@UnderTentsHaiti)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:09:11
- — UnderTentsHaiti (@UnderTentsHaiti)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:10:29
- — Alison Killing (@alisonkilling)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:11:18A1) it's a question of how early that recovery can start for large orgs-its the day after the disaster for the affected population #citychat
- — Annick Labeca (@ULGlobalCities)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:11:28After 2010 Cyclone Xynthia such questions of upgrading zoning in zones at risk were raised in France #citychat
- — UnderTentsHaiti (@UnderTentsHaiti)Thu, Nov 15 2012 20:11:47
#citychat No. 7 : Post-disaster Planning
On Thursday, November 15th @MITCoLab hosted a twitter chat about post-disaster planning and humanitarian action with the help of @alisonkilling and @katzncrawf. This chat will inform the (re)constructing the city event on November 30th, 2012.
byMIT CoLab2 Likes1,197 Views