- Previous generations have always been taught about the importance of finishing school in order to have a successful career.Today, the situation is quite different from what it was 2 decades ago.Creative youth of today experiments with new ideas on their own without ever having to enter the classroom of an art institute. In this digital age, where online learning and tutorials have become a norm, it is easier for students to learn and master any artistic discipline they like and experiment new ways or art by putting their creative mind into it.
- There have been many artists in the past that defied conventional education system and helped themselves forge new paths through their aesthetic sense and creativity. They did not attend school, and if they did, they dropped out early on.
- Self-Taught Artists
Frida Kahlo, a celebrated artist was known to be very determined and innovative in her diverse masterpieces. She received formal training in Natural Sciences. But her raw artistic instincts paved the way for her to become a successful portraitist.
Yoko Ono, who dropped out of college, is a renowned visual artist and musician.She networked well amidst the art scene of New York and quickly made a name for herself. She works as an art activist and has exhibited her artwork around the globe.
There are many artists who have created masterpieces after years of practice on their own. If you haven’t produced any major artwork yet but have already developed an interest in arts,all you have to do is to convince your prospective universities why you want to pursue it. While there are certain art institutes that may not respond, but there are many institutes that follow a different set of ideology towards art education and may welcome you to further develop your talents.
- Requirements of an Art School
The very first expectation of any contemporary art school is your enthusiasm and passion towards arts. Many college majors don’t require any prior formal training or portfolio. Most art institutes educate students about art from scratch and centrally focus on training students in all art forms and through public outreach programs enable them to work for their community and culture through art. Students enrolled in Arts Administration course have a chance to enter the job market as museum curators, art dealers and conservationists of antiquities and artifacts.
- Enrolling in a course in Art History may require a number of essays to be submitted but seldom an art portfolio. A study in this field focuses on the historical context of an art work, analytical critique and development of visual language. Most institutions require portfolios to be submitted along with the application, specifically,for Fine Arts degree.
Artwork is directly linked with an individual’s expression and can take many forms and directions. If you are interested in art, you should build up your own portfolio, since many art schools look for unique, untapped reservoir of talent in potential art students in need of guidance and direction.
- Moreover, a portfolio can take many diverse forms too, it can be a journal of your poetry, photography or excerpts from you travel log, even these can make you stand out as an individual who can add something new to a diverse art scene.
With the graphic design and online media publications gaining increasing popularity globally, you might consider enrolling in a design course. While some art schools require very specific design portfolio entailing samples of work that go under typography,illustrations and photography, others may ask to see your work in general and understand your interest in applying for that specific field of study.
- Consider Art Education Online
Studying art today is not limited to universities or physical art schools alone. You can find many online courses offering program in various fields of fine arts, with excellent accreditation. Such as Courser a, an online learning platform, that offers free online courses by teachers from top accredited art institutes and universities,providing lectures and videos to facilitate students with formal art training online.