- Singer Sheryl Crow became an advocate for breast cancer awareness and prevention after she was diagnosed with the disease in 2006.
- E! News' Giuliana Rancic had a double mastectomy in 2011 after she was treated for breast cancer.
- Longtime "Good Morning America" host Robin Roberts was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007 and with myelodysplastic syndrome in 2012. She left the show temporarily to undergo a bone marrow transplant and made a triumphant return early this year. On air Tuesday morning, Roberts said Jolie's op-ed was "moving" and a "huge story."
- Allyn Rose, the former Miss District of Columbia made headlines last year after she spoke publicly about her plans to undergo a preventative double mastectomy. "If there's one 16-year-old girl who doesn't have to live her life having lost her mom," she told the Washington Post, "then I've won."
- Other celebrities expressed support as well.
- Others raised concerns or pointed to articles that raised concerns about the publicity of this preventative procedure.
- In her op-ed, Jolie did note that just the test for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes run about $3,000. In the link below, women share the costs and wide-ranging fees they faced for the complete procedure.
As seen onm.nbclosangeles.com
Reactions to Angelina Jolie Double Mastectomy News