- — Mary Stegmeir (@marystegmeir)Fri, Jun 08 2012 18:07:42Hey, all...I'll be live tweeting this afternoon from Sen. Harkin's anti-bullying hearing at East High School in Des Moines.
- — Kyle Munson (@KyleMunson)Fri, Jun 08 2012 18:26:03Sen. Harkin on his Dowling HS days: "I was picked on because I was a country kid." But he wasn't bullied. Field hearing at East HS in DSM.
- — Mary Stegmeir (@marystegmeir)Fri, Jun 08 2012 18:26:18Harkin just held press avail. Told reporters that death of bullied Primghar teen spurred his interest in bully-prevention.
- — Kyle Munson (@KyleMunson)Fri, Jun 08 2012 18:30:102 reasons Sen. Harkin says fed govt needs to be involved in #bullying solutions: 1-over-arching civil rights authority, 2-Title I & II ed $$
- — Mary Stegmeir (@marystegmeir)Fri, Jun 08 2012 18:32:27Russlynn Ali about to speak. She is the assistant secretary in the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Harkin's Senate field hearing in Des Moines on bullying
U.S. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) convened a Senate field hearing today in Des Moines at East High School to address how the federal government might help combat bullying. Last night, for the first time, Harkin sat down to view the "Bully" documentary that largely was filmed in Sioux City. Paul Gausman, superintendent of Sioux City Community Schools, was one of the panelists on hand. Register education reporter Mary Stegmeir (@marystegmeir), meanwhile, tweeted so relentlessly throughout the hearing that she hit her daily limit of tweets! Here's a Twitter recap of the panelists' testimonials and discussion as well as input from the public in the audience.
byKyle Munson305 Views