- Nixon started off the State of the State address with a list of Missouri's accomplishments in the past year. Among them were the merging of the State Highway Patrol and the State Water Patrol, the state being a finalist for making Boeing 777X, Missouri's relatively low unemployment rate and Missouri's balanced budget.
- — Jessica C. Machetta (@jmachetta)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:08:34Gov. Nixon begins State of the State Address by saluting Highway Patrol and emergency workers during the flood that devastated So. Mo.
- — Olivia Ingle (@Olivia_Ingle)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:11:24Nixon talks about Mo. as a finalist for Boeing 777X. "We all know that if you want to win, you've got to compete," he says. #MOSOTS
- — Eli Yokley (@eyokley)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:10:31Nixon says MO's economy performance is "better than every single one of our neighboring states." Cheers from D's, quiet from R's. #MOSOTS
- Gov. Nixon followed his introduction with the announcement of an added $490 million dollars for education at all levels. Nixon stressed the importance of early childhood education and included money specific for training mental health professionals.
- — The Eagle 939 (@TheEagle939)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:33:56Nixon says over the past 5 years, MO colleges and universities are tops in the nation at holding down tuition increases.
- — Eli Yokley (@eyokley)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:27:16
- Nixon made a few quick statements on LGBT issues that generated a lot of social media buzz.
- — Evan Millward (@EvanABC17)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:48:55Nixon: "Last yr, MO Nondiscrimination Act passed Senate w/ bipartisan support but never made it to my desk. Let's get it done." #abc17
- Nixon's budget includes $1.7 billion in federal funds to expand and reform Medicaid. Nixon said that if Missouri doesn't use the funds, Missourians' tax money will go to other states.
- — ABC 17 News (@ABC17News)Wed, Jan 22 2014 01:50:49
Nixon unveils FY2015 budget at State of the State address
Gov. Jay Nixon released his proposal for the FY2015 budget in Jefferson City on Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014. Although he said "it's easy to get caught up in... the latest tweet," we did get caught up in the tweets of the night- here are a few of the best.