- Out of curiosity I posed this question on twitter this morning:
- — Jonathan Hsy (@JonathanHsy)Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:45:42
- The first few responses immediately ran the gamut from YES to NO (with varied justifications for each choice), with neutral responses ("never thought about it/doesn't mean much to me"), and other sorts of explanations (i.e., "I don't have space" or "I don't have my own office.")
- — Kevin Gannon (@TheTattooedProf)Tue, Aug 18 2015 11:53:20@JonathanHsy I do. They cost a lot of $$, my pets don't give a shit that I have a PhD, so I might as well put them in my office...
- — Emy the Magpie (@Emy_Pica)Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:45:27@JonathanHsy I have no desire to stick my quals on the wall - that space is for useful stuff! They're all in my Record of Achievement folder
- — Una McIlvenna (@UnaMcIlvenna)Tue, Aug 18 2015 15:16:18@JonathanHsy I display my PhD diploma, my kids' artwork, portraits of hist. figures I study. Whatever I want to, dammit! I LIKE them.
- — Matt Gutting (@matgutting)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:24:17
- (This tweet started a whole long side-conversation about whether university instructors should be addressed as "Professor" or "Doctor," and opinions varied by context such as region/geography, culture, discipline, campus climate.)
- — William D. Adler (@williamadler78)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:32:07
- — Karl Steel (@KarlSteel)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:34:19
- — Jonathan Hsy (@JonathanHsy)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:58:11
- — Carla María Thomas (@cmthomas)Tue, Aug 18 2015 14:01:25
- — Carla María Thomas (@cmthomas)Tue, Aug 18 2015 14:02:03
- — Ilana Horn (@tchmathculture)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:35:37@JonathanHsy I didn't for years. But being mistaken for a student repeatedly, respect issues motivated me to display them.
- — David Ramos (@imagineterrain)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:32:19@JonathanHsy Don’t see the need in a university, but I’ve found med doctors’ awards to be reassuring. (Esp. the modest, personal awards.)
- — NG Discenza (@ndiscenza1)Tue, Aug 18 2015 16:18:27@JonathanHsy Never framed my diplomas. I display undergrad teaching award & grad mentoring award--hope they'll inspire student confidence?
- — William D. Adler (@williamadler78)Tue, Aug 18 2015 12:56:53
- — Tracey Berg-Fulton (@BergFulton)Tue, Aug 18 2015 14:09:34@JonathanHsy Not an ac- but when I was disabled, having my diplomas up reminded me that no one could take away my education. 1/2.
- — Tracey Berg-Fulton (@BergFulton)Tue, Aug 18 2015 14:10:38@JonathanHsy 2/2 & being a 1st gen, 1st to get advanced degree, coming from working class fam, it's a reminder of all the sacrifices made
- — Tracey Berg-Fulton (@BergFulton)Tue, Aug 18 2015 14:12:13@JonathanHsy so for me, it is a reminder of humility. "Do good work every day.You&yours sacrificed&worked for this.Do work&make them proud."
- — Damian Fleming (@FW_Medieval)Tue, Aug 18 2015 13:39:17
#DiplomaDisplay convo: August 18, 2015
Do you you display your credentials (diploma, award/s, etc.) in the office? The academic Twitterverse has a surprisingly wide-ranging convo.