- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:01:522. Over at, ahem, The New Republic, I write about the feud between Groening & Simon over creation of The Simpsons: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121282/how-tension-between-sam-simon-and-matt-groening-built-simpsons?utm_content=buffer86e95&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer …
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:05:195. Groening's claim was based on the authority of experience: he based central characters in The Simpsons on his family, work was autobio.
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:12:339. Interestingly, one of the scripts Groening & Simon collaborated on deals with how origin stories are mythical: http://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodes/7G07.html …
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:13:3610. In "The Tell-Tale Head" (writtten by Groening, Simon, Al Jean, Mike Reiss) we're introduced to the semi-mythical Jebediah Springfield
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:16:2812. In later episodes, it becomes clear that almost all the stories about founding father Jebediah Springfield are lies, myths, tall tales.
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:19:1215. What I want to suggest is that Jebediah Springfield is in fact Matt Groening: the mythical founder credited with creating the town.
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:29:2918. MT @theturner Worth noting show's best writers have been notoriously reticent to seek spotlights, take credit. Partially by preference
- — Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet)Fri, Mar 13 2015 02:44:0923. As mentioned earlier, many (all?) of the best lines my Sam Simon obit came from my editor @SamEifling. The piece was collaborative.
Jebediah Springfield, The Simpsons & Mythical Origin Stories