- Follow NBA Memes on Twitter.
Event No. 1
- Phil Jackson, who led the Lakers to five championship NBA titles, reportedly agreed to terms with the New York Knicks on Wednesday night to take a job in their front office. Although he hasn't coached the Lakers in years, his presence in Southern California has still tethered him to purple and gold and the news that he is being pulled away was met with resistance. Namely, from NBA great and Los Angeles Sparks part-owner Johnson:
- That's one take. Still, sports columnist Vincent Bonsignore argued that this was the best possible thing to happen to the Lakers:
Event No. 2
- Bryant, who has suffered injury after injury -- a torn Achilles tendon and then a fractured knee -- finally called it quits for the season, giving him seven months to finish his rehabilitation before camp starts instead of rushing back to the court for a team that is hanging out with the bottom feeders in conference standings.
- Watch video from Bryant's post-practice session with media on the Lakers' official site:
Event No. 3
- "We play for championships. Everything else is a complete failure." - Kobe Bryant
Following Event No. 2, Bryant called out the Lakers' front office, saying that it all starts at the top .
- And Johnson wasn't done either. He chimed in via Twitter.
Read more via the Inside the Lakers blog: