- Politicians and political activists have a love-hate relationship with Twitter. On the one hand, they know they have to use it to connect to a wider community, yet doing so can reveal their once hidden prejudices.
We have seen this in the past when a UKIP MEP was rather chummy towards a BNP member.
- Still, exposing the soft underbelly of bigotry is not confined to the Hard Right UKIP and their would-be allies in the BNP.
The British Left contains an odd few bigots, if truth be told. Generally they keep their pet loathings in check, as might be expected amongst the educated and the well-to-do. But once in a while their prejudice slips out.
- Antisemitic myths
- One odd supporter of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition (TUSC) has a habit of believing in antisemitic myths, in this case that the British media is owned and controlled by Jews.
Anyone moderately literate should know the antecedents of this racist invention, it takes much of its influence from the fraudulent Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a Tsarist fake from the 19th century.
- It is a mainstay of the Extreme Right's thinking.
- James von Brunn, the murderous neo-Nazi, left a notepad stating "...Jews control the mass media." A search of Google on this theme, brings up David Duke as the first item, along with numerous other antisemitic sources. Nick Griffin’s 1997 pamphlet Who are the Mindbenders articulates these sentiments too.
- A TUSC activist
- The fact that such views can be found amongst a popular TUSC activist is very troubling. Those antisemitic opinions were revealed in an exchange under a tweet by Mohammed Ansar.
- Ansar's remarks, in this instance, are not racist, but the contributions from others were:
- That notable individual is a supporter of the Scottish Green Party, more on his bigotry later on.
- Rightly, one particular TUSC/Socialist Party member objected to those racist sentiments:
- However, another TUSC supporter, supported that racist statement and believes that the British media is Jewish:
- It is a seemingly innocuous comment, but in reality Topple believes that the British media is run and controlled by Jews.
- Not a 1,000,000 miles away from the sentiments expressed by the Extreme Right in the 1930s.
- Not a one off
- This is not a one-off comment by him around this topic:
- His Friends
- His Twitter friends also have issues with Jews, in this case one of them quoting a Holocaust revisionist Thomas Dalton: