- — Chan Fraser-Pauls (@cfp2three)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:17:32So proud of my brother @flash2gordon for making the decision to come out. Brave. Courageous. Whatever you want to call it. Much love bro!
- — Michael Sam (@MikeSamFootball)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:48:25
- — UMass Athletics (@UMassAthletics)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:16:05UMass is proud of the courage and the example shown by Derrick Gordon today as well as his teammates and the basketball program #UMassProud!
- — Jabarie Hinds (@JHinds4)Wed, Apr 09 2014 15:27:52
- — Steve Buckley (@BuckinBoston)Wed, Apr 09 2014 13:56:34Congrats to openly gay UMass hoop star Derrick Gordon!! http://www.outsports.com/2014/4/9/5582758/derrick-gordon-comes-out-umass-basketball …
- — NOH8 Campaign (@NOH8Campaign)Wed, Apr 09 2014 15:34:54
- — Ken McIntyre (@KenMac55)Wed, Apr 09 2014 16:35:16"You're an incredible role model. This is a big & important message to kids everywhere."-@mitchellreports, crack journo, to Derrick Gordon
- — Laura Hannusch (@lehannusch)Wed, Apr 09 2014 17:29:39@flash2gordon Impressed with your courage. Hopefully one day soon this kind of announcement will not be necessary and will not be news.
- — Kevin L. Smith (@KevLSmittie)Wed, Apr 09 2014 17:29:18
- — Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:06:49Derrick Gordon: "It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can cry." So happy for him, such an UNBELIEVABLE KID.
- — Jason Richmond (@NotJRich)Wed, Apr 09 2014 16:38:01Derrick Gordon. Another win for the LGBBTQQIAAP community! @adamcurry #ITM http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/10754317/espnw-university-massachusetts-minutemen-starter-derrick-gordon-openly-smiling-decision-come-gay …
- — Taylor Daml (@TaylorDaml)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:05:17Is it weird that ESPN sent ESPNW, who's focus is on Women's sports, to interview Derrick Gordon about coming out? Seems a bit...off?
- — Chris Yandle (@ChrisYandle)Wed, Apr 09 2014 14:37:14As Michael Sam and Derrick Gordon have showed, be YOU. Don't let others tell you who you should be. Two outstanding role models.
Reaction: UMass' Derrick Gordon comes out as 1st openly gay Div. I men's basketball player
When Jason Collins became the first American male team sport athlete to announce he was gay on April 29, 2013, University of Massachusetts guard Derrick Gordon praised the NBA center on Twitter: “Jason Collins comes out...Much respect...Just be yourself!!!”Less than a year later, Gordon has too.