- The Ghost of Formalism has readed its head again, and I figured it would be better to stofiy these tweets than repeat myself forever. I'm hoping this is the last time we have to deal with this baggage and this ghostly thing, and I say this with my hope embedded in a (hopefully) growing desire to create distance from the groups who keep throwing it back onto our laps. I think it's important to talk about if only becuase that's the only way the ghost will be slain and put into the dirt. Tweets explain.
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Thu, Jan 15 2015 09:18:31I've realized I get more fruitful conversations about systems when I don't have to navigate the gripes and baggage of old guard game studies
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Thu, Jan 15 2015 09:19:31I feel so petty when I talk about formalism now, but I was chatting about it with a friend, and I think the reason I was so uspet this week,
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Thu, Jan 15 2015 09:23:52Or our approaches, or the games we were interested in, but still took the authority to speak to us as if we weren't also critics/scholars
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Thu, Jan 15 2015 09:36:40So when it comes to formalism, something that *will* come up again bc that's just how intellectual communities are, my thing is like,
- A conversation with Dan
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:21:16"complaining about "ludo-essentialism"" why do these folks continuously disrespect me and my peers yet expect me to care about they think?
- — DanJo: A Novel (@Daniel_Joseph)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:26:41@Fengxii because as somebody sympathetic to worrying about the essentialism of which you are worried about - the storify is really unclear
- — DanJo: A Novel (@Daniel_Joseph)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:28:08@Fengxii a lot of distinctions need to be made between academic and amateur critique, habitus' of various critics, twitter discourses etc
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:31:39@Daniel_Joseph I really shouldn't have to though, the values and ideas of these approaches is already pushed through tons of text analysis
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:32:38@Daniel_Joseph and more general "study". Like just bc I haven't responded directly to that baggage doesn't mean I haven't addessed it?
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:38:21@Daniel_Joseph Idk man, Iris has written about tools/text, Stephen and Brendan on phenomnelogy, Lana and I write about poetry/Abstract Art +
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:39:11@Daniel_Joseph all these things loosen up form, and think about its place. I feel like the comprehensive work is already there, has been
- — Cannon's Core (@Fengxii)Wed, Jan 21 2015 18:39:34@Daniel_Joseph I'm not sure what more I'd have to do, that isn't me going back into a hole engaging with folks I'm p tired of engaging with
byZolani Stewart60 Views