- Presiding: Katina Rogers, MLA Commons
DavidF. Bell III, Duke University
MatthewK. Gold, New York City College of Tech., City University of New York;
Kevin Kee, Brock University
Cecilia Márquez, University of Virginia
Kelli Massa, University College, London
William Albert Pannapacker, Hope College
Donnie Sackey, Wayne State University
How can humanities programs better equip students for a wide range of careers, while also fostering methodological expertise and public engagement? This roundtable will discuss a few possible approaches as seen in the Praxis Network, a new international alliance of graduate and undergraduate programs that are making effective interventions in traditional models of humanities pedagogy and research.
For description of programs and overall project, visit praxis-network.org.
- [ESTHER RAWSON'S EDITORS NOTE: I've been storifying the MLA sessions that were particularly interesting to me from an #AltAc / #PostAc professional development perspective. In some cases I've edited them for usefulness along those lines. In this case, though, as the whole session is relevant, I've attempted to publish with edits only mitigating against redundancy.
However, Storify is not a perfect tool.
For some reason, significant chunks of #s599 tweets did not appear on my #s599 storify board (which registered only 117 tweets, including RTs, far short of the total). So I went back to conduct searches by way of specific contributors' twitter handles to augment the record. Even then, though, I had to do my best to fill in gaps from my original twitter feed. You'll see these additions toward the end. Apologies in advance if stuff got left out. And please do let me know if I missed crucial stuff. I'm interested in having this be as complete a record as possible. ]
As always, Thanks so much to everyone who live-tweeted!!!
Here it is from beginning to end, starting with some early promo links:
- And here're the realtime tweets.
- Neil Anderson tweets a key point, it seems to me, made by David Bell. Relationships between disciplinary departments and DH centers are variable, unstable, unpredictable.
- I don't really see the tension here that PhD careers | MSU identifies, but I wonder if others do...?