- Since AOL, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, PalTalk, Skype, and Yahoo were named to PRISM's list of tech companies, I thought it would be interesting to see how Twitter employees reacted to the news.
Pulling up @twitter's official Twitter list of its employees on Twitter - a list that has nearly 80,000 subscribers - I was able to take a peak into the thoughts (legally!) of 1,252 members of the social media company's flock. (It's worth noting that this list, although it is the most-subscribed-to list on Twitter, hasn't seen a significant update in quite some time now, meaning new employees' tweets may not be featured in the list's stream.)
- — Soheil (@soheil)Fri, Jun 07 2013 01:04:52Notice how Twitter is not on that list yet, #NSA #PRISM #proud http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/us-intelligence-mining-data-from-nine-us-internet-companies-in-broad-secret-program/2013/06/06/3a0c0da8-cebf-11e2-8845-d970ccb04497_story.html …estigations…
- — ✈ Digital Gypsy® (@tomspano)Fri, Jun 07 2013 00:19:25
- — Cennydd Bowles (@Cennydd)Thu, Jun 06 2013 23:05:02Given that a strong majority of US citizens support the current drone policy, it's hard to imagine they'll give much of a shit about PRISM.
- — Yoshimasa Niwa (@niw)Thu, Jun 06 2013 22:24:47NSA slides explain the PRISM data-collection program http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/ …srv/special… Twitter is NOT the one of nine.
- — Adam Messinger (@adam_messinger)Fri, Jun 07 2013 00:50:55“No one wants a pen that’s going to rat them out,”. Proud to work with @amac. http://qz.com/91889/twitter-boosts-its-privacy-cred-with-its-absence-from-the-nsas-surveillance-program/ …
- — Esteñ (@esten)Fri, Jun 07 2013 00:35:29The only way the NSA isn't collecting data on you is if your entire online presence consists of tweeting on T-mobile http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324299104578529112289298922.html …/SB1000…
- — Suyash Sonwalkar (@suyash)Thu, Jun 06 2013 22:37:47Most people don't need to worry b/c they won't ever be thorn in gov's side. But for activists and radicals, the stakes are much higher.
- — Alec Thomas (@alecthomas)Fri, Jun 07 2013 00:27:40
- — Yaron Schoen (@Yarcom)Thu, Jun 06 2013 23:06:36Gov knows everything you say, write, and do at any point anywhere… But yeah, that shotgun you have thx to the 2nd amend will protect you.
Twitter Employees React To PRISM, the NSA's Surveillance Program
The Washington Post reported tonight that the NSA & the FBI are "tapping directly into the central servers of nine leading U.S. internet companies, extracting audio, video, photographs, e-mails, documents and connection logs." Noticeably absent from the list was Twitter, the seven-year-old startup.
byEli Langer1 Like3,199 Views