This year's speakers:
· Claire Bury, Director, DG Internal Market, European Commission
· Jürgen Creutzmann, MEP, ALDE
· Benjamin Jansen, Deputy Director, Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security
· Henrik Tjärnström, CEO, Unibet
· Andrew Beveridge, CEO, eCOGRA
· Simon Holliday, Director, H2 Gambling Capital
· Patrick Van Eecke, Partner, DLA Piper
· Philippe Vlaemminck, Partner, Altius
· Simon Lelieveldt, Banking and Payments Expert, Electronic Money Association
· Simon Moores, Managing Director, Zentelligence Ltd
· Maarten Haijer, Secretary General, EGBA
Claire Bury, Director, DG Internal Market, European Commission, began by reiterating the overall aim of the European Commission’s Action Plan, to get Member States to work together to deal with common challenges particularly those stemming from the cross border nature of online gambling. She mentioned the importance of effective regulation and monitoring of the market to protect consumers, avoid fraud and prevent match fixing, especially when considering societal values.
Stakeholders need to define areas for exchange of information and good practices on consumer protection, advertising rules and supervision of operators.
Dr. Benjamin Jansen, Deputy Director, Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security, mentioned three issues that arose during the drafting of the new Dutch legislative proposal, namely, the financial aspect of the law, the question of addiction care and that of charities and sports. In parallel to this regulation, the Netherlands will present a strategy on the reform of the lotteries system. Jansen’s primary concern was that they need to find a balanced gambling system in general.