As seen onFavicon for

Kandahar Mass Murder Plea Bargain Sentencing Hearing, As Tweeted: Afghans Speak To Media At JBLM

This is a record of the second of two evidence hearings in the court-martial of former U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales for war crimes in Afghanistan. For context, please see my introduction to this 7-part Storify, linked just below. I recommend viewing this in /slideshow format. -January, 2014


  1. Storify Introduction (Slideshow links: Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

  2. Friday, August 23, 2013, continued (Afghans speak at JBLM)

  3. A good photo of Sadiqullah (wounded son of Haji Mohammad Naim of Alkozai's Ibrahim Khan Houses neighborhood, north of Camp Belamby), smiling nervously, left; Hekmatullah "Khan" Gul (oldest child of murdered Haji Mohammad Dawood, from an isolated home south of Camp Belamby), with red shoelaces, center; and Haji Baran of Kandahar city (brother of Haji Mohammad Dawood; uncle of Hekmatullah), in turban:
  4. (The man in the light blue shirt on the right is one of the Pashto-language translators who traveled from Afghanistan to help with the Afghan testimony. On the far right LTC Gary Dangerfield of the JBLM Public Affairs Office can be seen in uniform.)
  5. Haji Mohammad Naim, father of the taller boy Sadiqullah, is visible here, in black turban and gray beard, as Haji Baran and Hekmatullah "Khan" Gul speak about the loss of Haji Mohammad Dawood (Baran's brother and Khan's father):
  6. (The man in white to Naim's left behind the two boys appears to be Rafiullah's father Samiullah; a photo of Samiullah in April, 2013 helping his daughter Zardana.)
  7. A close-up of Hekmatullah "Khan" Gul, front, and Haji Baran/Mullah Baraan, right:
  8. In this photograph we can also see Haji Mohammad Naim, father of Sadiqullah, in the black turban and gray beard. The man on the left in a blue shirt may be another of the Pashto translators. I don't know who the two men on the right are):
  9. Here's Haji Mohammad Naim, of Alkozai, north of Camp Belamby - who lost consciousness for four days after being shot three times at close range - speaking with his hand on the shoulder of one of the Pashto translators (this is only Naim's second video-recorded media interview since the massacre; his first was in June, 2013):