Wednesday, August 21, 2013, continued (the defense begins)
- After questioning the last two (of nine) Afghan witnesses, for about 45 minutes at the beginning of the second day of sentencing testimony, and then three U.S. military witnesses from about 9:00 to 11:00 AM PT (the last of whom, Colonel Todd R. Wood, was the only prosecution witness cross-examined by the defense), the prosecution rested. After a brief recess, at about 11:30 AM PT the defense called an older brother of SSG Robert Bales as their first mitigation witness:
- — Gene Johnson (@GeneAPseattle)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:20:43
- — Lewis Kamb (@lewiskamb)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:30:06Bill #Bales is describing his family's upbringing. Father served in Army during World War II and Korea. "He had problem with alcohol."
- — Keith Eldridge (@KeithKOMO4)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:30:18Bill #Bales is 17 years older. Their dad had a problem with alcohol. It would consume him at times. But he also had a strict religious side
- — Keith Eldridge (@KeithKOMO4)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:32:06Quite a departure @ #bales sentencing from all of the gruesome details of the massacre. Family life in Ohio vs killings in Kandahar.
- — TNT Military (@TNTmilitary)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:32:30Big shift in tone here at #Bales hearing, turning from descriptions of massacre to childhood memories growing vegetables.
- — Lewis Kamb (@lewiskamb)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:38:57As Browne shows slideshow of young Bobby #Bales growing up, brother, Bill testifies: "Bobby was very happy... He had a way with people, too"
- — Keith Eldridge (@KeithKOMO4)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:39:08"He had a way with people," Bill #Bales. More young photos. Afghan victims never got to show photos of the children he killed.
- — DebatingChambers (@DCreDC)Thu, Aug 22 2013 00:35:11
- — Kathy Gannon (@Kathygannon)Wed, Aug 28 2013 15:51:46@DCreDC @KeithKOMO4 @NiedringhausAP here is the link of Anja Niedringhaus photos of the Afghan massacre http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/05/16/photos-witnesses-of-an-afghan-massacre/ …
- — DebatingChambers (@DCreDC)Sat, Aug 31 2013 03:11:04
- — Kevin McCarty (@KevinKIRO)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:42:56
- — TNT Military (@TNTmilitary)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:43:01#Bales trial is jarring first for the gore, but also bc there are no opening statements. Witnesses appear without narrative/context.
- — Keith Eldridge (@KeithKOMO4)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:43:26911 now brought up by JHB. Bobby was living in FL, not in military yet. "I was surprised' #Bales wanted to enlist said Bill.
- — Lewis Kamb (@lewiskamb)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:46:03Bill #Bales said brother's children, 6 and 3, "would run right to him" if they were there today. Took them to Seahawks, made them pancakes
- — Lewis Kamb (@lewiskamb)Wed, Aug 21 2013 18:54:34
Kandahar Mass Murder Plea Bargain Sentencing Hearing, As Tweeted: The Defense
This is a record of the second of two evidence hearings in the court-martial of former U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales for war crimes in Afghanistan. For context, please see my introduction to this 7-part Storify, linked just below. I recommend viewing this in /slideshow format. -January, 2014
byDCreDC1 Like18 Views