- Newshour political editor Christina Bellantoni hosted a live Twitter chat with Sasha Issenberg to discuss social science, political campaigns and analytics. Sasha answered all your questions about his new book, The Victory Lab, the Obama canvassing app, the voters that don't vote and more. Read our recap of the chat below.
- — Nathan Babcock (@NathanBabcock)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:38:28
- We're so glad it's a Victory Lab night for Nathan!
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:31:21#victorylab A1 I covered 2008 day in, day out, and afterwards I realized the campaigns were doing a lot more than I had realized.
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:34:16#victorylab Q2 One of the problems with academic research is that people rarely publish after they test something that doesn't work.
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:35:38#victorylab A2 That's one of the reasons the Analyst Institute fascinates me: it's a place where researchers share failures and successes.
- — Katie Harbath (@katieharbath)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:36:09
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:51:30#victorylab A6 I see microtargeting scores/segments becoming a commodity: party committees generate generic ones and share with candidates.
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:54:32#victorylab A7 Much of the research informed by behavioral psych suggests that there are social benefits that makes people vote.
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:55:48#victorylab A7 Experiments are revealing people vote because they see their neighbors doing it and want to be seen as good citizens.
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:01:04#victorylab A7 By logic of costs/benefits there are plenty of reasons not to vote. It takes a lot of time and what do you get it of it?
- — Geoff Sharpe (@Geoff_Sharpe)Thu, Sep 20 2012 00:55:09You brought up RePurpose in recent blogpost. Are there any studies/data on gamification's affect on campaigns? #victorylab
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:02:36#victorylab A9 Great question. I haven't seen any, but from what I know about the AFL-CIO I'm sure they're testing it all. (Read chap 6!)
- — Justin Bumstead (@JBumstead87)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:01:50
- — Shaun Dakin (@EndTheRoboCalls)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:12:02
- — The Victory Lab (@victorylab)Thu, Sep 20 2012 01:21:48#victorylab A16 I think the campaign's logic is that it's the same information a canvasser sees on clipboard. Why should app be different?
- This is so great to hear!
Sasha Issenberg's Victory Lab Twitter Chat
Newshour political editor Christina Bellantoni and Sasha Issenberg discuss how cutting-edge social science and analytics are reshaping the modern political campaign.
byCrown Publishing133 Views