- Female scientists remain woefully under-represented in the higher echelons of academia and industry and are still less likely to make a splash in the media compared with their male peers.
So @GarethM (Gareth Mitchell), @GregFoot, @QuercusTraining (Helen Goulding) and I (@ClaireAinsworth) put their heads together, along with Alison Rodger at the University of Warwick, to develop a course that would help women tackle the barriers that can hold them back. You can read all about it here and here.
The course began on 4th January--a cold start!
- We began with a plenary session to explore the barriers facing women in science.
- Following that discussion, we moved on to talk about implicit stereotypes, example research paper here.
- After a long day's work, we repaired to the bar, and then had tour of the venue, Cumberland Lodge, a former stately home.
- Day 2: and we kick off with a speed networking session! We hope that delegates will make useful contacts and stay in touch after the course: having a supportive network can make all the difference to your career.