The Blue Front

If only the walls could talk!

Embed

  1. The Blue Front, located on South Front Street, opened as a 'Bucket of Blood'-type saloon owned by Con Moyers, one of the men hung during the vigilante uprising of October 1868.
  2. Learn more about the lynching of Con Moyers, first owner of the Blue Front.
  3. Later, the building became the National Theatre where many plays and entertainments were performed. Laramie’s courtroom was moved to the National Theatre to seat the world’s first female jurors as the places where other court cases had been held were deemed unsuitable for a proper woman to enter. Even then, it took a great deal of convincing that the theatre was respectable and safe.
  4. In 1869, Augustus Trabing moved his headquarters to Laramie in the old Blue Front Theatre. It was a one-story wooden structure that Trabing painted the building a bright blue – hence the name – Blue Front.
  5. When he opened the Laramie Grocery Company at the corner of Garfield and South Second Street, the theatre was used as a warehouse. His retail and wholesale store was located at the corner of Garfield and South Second Street.
Like
Share

Share

Facebook
Google+