- The incident Saturday night that started it all:
- Then this morning, the shot heard 'round the (hockey) world:
- Heard loud and clear. Many of those commenting are sports journalists and athletes:
- — Jonathan Toew$ (@19JToews)Sun, Jan 19 2014 15:06:03JUST IGNORE THE NHL LIKE YOU DID WITH PEDS IN BASEBALL. RT @pgammo: Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport
- — Wesley Uhler (@WesUhlerWVU)Sun, Jan 19 2014 15:09:40No steroid scandals AND a salary cap! Crazy I know! RT @pgammo: Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport
- — Mike Commodore (@commie22)Sun, Jan 19 2014 15:22:23@pgammo , help us out with your infinite wisdom scoops, would a good solid 25 year HGH/doping era turn hockey into a "major" sport?
- — Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:03:58Dont know about that. No one called baseball a minor sport when Carlos Quentin charged mound and broke Zach Greinke's collarbone. @pgammo
- — Liam Maguire (@Liams_Hockey)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:17:39
- — Rocco Pendola (@Rocco_TheStreet)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:21:57There are so many, admittedly barbaric, nuances to what happened last night that guys like Gammons just don’t understand. But whatever.
- — Rob Schofield (@robschof)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:26:19You made my list of mortal enemies, @pgammo RT: "Peter Gammons: Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport"
- — Jack Briggs (@CoyotefanJack)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:26:41
- — Tyler Charles (@TylerLCharles)Sun, Jan 19 2014 16:30:35Peter Gammons on his high horse after the Nucks/Flames line brawl. Sir, take a look at your own league and tell me THAT isn't bush league.
How to ignite a cross-border sports culture war
In response to the brawls and bravado on display during Saturday night's NHL game between the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks, legendary baseball writer Peter Gammons took to twitter to say the brouhaha was the reason the NHL is a "minor sport." Cue the fireworks.
byThe Canadian Press1 Like39,547 Views