- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Fri, Jul 26 2013 23:17:20Mother & I just finished a duet of We'll Meet Again. Every word has meaning. Nurse looks in, asks, "Do you take requests?"
- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Fri, Jul 26 2013 23:24:49-I tell her, "You've given me strength to carry it." She's reciting White Cliffs of Dover now, becoming 14 before my eyes.
- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Sat, Jul 27 2013 21:07:12Mother asks, "Will this go on forever?" She means pain, dread. "No." She says, "But we'll go on forever. You & me." Yes.
- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Sun, Jul 28 2013 19:30:28I love holding my mother's hand. Haven't held it like this since I was 9. Why did I stop? I thought it unmanly? What crap.
- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Mon, Jul 29 2013 06:45:04Her passing might come any moment, or in an hour, or not for a day. Nurses saying hearing is last sense to go so I sing & joke.
- — Scott Simon (@nprscottsimon)Mon, Jul 29 2013 11:46:40I know end might be near as this is only day of my adulthood I've seen my mother and she hasn't asked, "Why that shirt?"
- — Nick Dawson (@nickdawson)Mon, Jul 29 2013 17:21:55@nprscottsimon We came to know your mom through your tweets. I’m so sorry for your loss and so grateful we got to know her through you.