- It started with this.
- Reaction to the former GE CEO's tweet came in from all sides on @Twitter.
- — Austan Goolsbee (@Austan_Goolsbee)Fri, Oct 05 2012 13:10:03
- — felix salmon (@felixsalmon)Fri, Oct 05 2012 12:53:27*slaps forehead*, got it! @jack_welch thinks POTUS is the CEO of the US, and can manipulate payroll numbers like he manipulated GE earnings.
- — amaeryllis (@amaeryllis)Fri, Oct 05 2012 12:51:39
- — Betsey Stevenson (@BetseyStevenson)Fri, Oct 05 2012 13:41:06Please, no conspiracy theory on the data. Republicans, you are better than this. Don't get desperate.
- And of course, plenty of sarcasm and humor to go around.
- — Downtown Josh Brown (@ReformedBroker)Fri, Oct 05 2012 12:53:38Now I don't want to say these job numbers are rigged, but they arrived in an envelope bearing the wax seal of Soros...
- — Joshua Green (@JoshuaGreen)Fri, Oct 05 2012 12:54:35Trump hacked your account RT @jack_welch Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers
- — pourmecoffee (@pourmecoffee)Fri, Oct 05 2012 14:14:34Economic data, climate data, voter registrations, Obama birth certificate -- fake, fake, fake, fake. Everything's faked.
- Labor Secretary Hilda Solis addressed the conspiracy theory in a live interview on @CNBC.
- — Carl Quintanilla (@carlquintanilla)Fri, Oct 05 2012 13:42:55
- Defenders of the BLS data took to Twitter.
- — Betsey Stevenson (@BetseyStevenson)Fri, Oct 05 2012 13:42:44I promise, when there are errors in publicly available govt data (like the BLS data), someone finds them. See: http://www.nber.org/papers/w15703 papers/w15703
- — Justin Wolfers (@justinwolfers)Fri, Oct 05 2012 14:07:11I'm seeing two wingnut lines: A) This is actually a weak job report; B) The BLS is making the numbers up. So the BLS is making up weak data?
- Some on Twitter highlighted the fact that the @Jack_Welch conspiracy theory actually began LAST night.
- — felix salmon (@felixsalmon)Fri, Oct 05 2012 12:51:06It turns out that @jack_welch was even doing his conspiracy-theory thing LAST NIGHT, before the number even came out! https://twitter.com/jack_welch/status/254056162725617665 …ack_welch/status/254056162725617665
Jack Welch Tweet: Jobs Numbers an Obama Conspiracy?
This morning, the U.S. Labor Dept. reported that the economy added 114,000 jobs in September and the unemployment rate fell to 7.8%, the lowest level since 2009. Immediately following the report, a @Jack_Welch tweet unleashed a fury on Twitter.
byCNBC3 Likes3,753 Views