- Most often than not, students hate proofreading their assignment. But, considering that it is found in research studies that proofreading can improve grades of students, you should never take this final step of assignment writing lightly. If still you are unable to proofread your assignment properly, Assignment help Sydney can become a savior. Although the main aim of this article is to provide you a detailed checklist for proofreading, before that the difference between proofreading and editing will be highlighted, as often these two terms are used interchangeably, while these both denote something quite different.
What is meant by editing and proofreading, are these are same?
Both editing and proofreading, roughly, refers to revising your writing, or looking at it again to ensure that it’s well-written, reads effortlessly and make clear sense to the reader. To highlight the difference let us explain both these terms clearly:
Editing means checking your assignment to ensure that it is clear, logical, well-written, factually correct, and forms a meaningful whole.
On the other hand, proofreading generally employed after editing anderrors in grammar, spelling and formatting are the prime concern.
So in a way, editing is more to do with the idea or the subject matter of a document, while proofreading is about the language and its correctness. Essay help will help you do both editing and proofreading of your document.
- Proofreading checklists: Proofreading should be carried away in the following broad categories.
• Word choice:
1. Try to be concise and avoid usage of redundant words. Phrases such as, “real facts”, “Unexpected surprise”, “unexplained mystery”, etc. must be avoided. If you know that you are going to thoroughly proofread your document at the end, then you can skip the hassle of checking these while writing.
2. Judiciously use specialized word or jargon where necessary.
3. Remove all colloquial words or slang from your writing.
1. Check for grammatical construction of each and every sentence. See whether all the necessary parts of speech are there in the sentence or not.
2. See whether there is any nouns/pronouns mismatch.
3. Ensure that all pronouns are referring to a noun?
4. Check whether all prepositions are appropriately placed or not. As the use of prepositions don’t follow that a strict rule, you can use free software for grammatical error checking for the same.
5. Then, you should check the consistency of tense across sentences and paragraphs.
• Punctuation: Check whether you have punctuated all sentences properly. Remember that without punctuation the complete sense of a sentence cannot be attained and it might mislead the reader as well. The most common error, in this regard, is not putting a question mark for a question, as an interrogative sentence can be written with and without a question mark to show two different meanings.
- At any step of proofreading take assistance with assignment in Sydney to make your life easy.
• Spelling:The last but not the least thing to check the spelling. Now all word processing software has th auto correct feature. However, these software may not help you detect cases where you are using some homonym or homophones or homograph. In this case, you have to decide the appropriate spelling on your own. At the same time, pay attention to whether your professor follow the American or Australian English spelling and maintain the consistency throughout the assignment.
An effective strategy for proofreading could be exchanging assignment with your friend. But while doing that, be careful about your friend’s seriousness about proofreading your assignment and whether the individual knows all what entails in it.