- Today, it's important to pay attention to app promotion whether you're making a big professional project or you're just an enthusiast who's making an app or game to gain additional experience. Otherwise, you may end up with underwhelming results – after all, there are a lot of cases when good, well-produced apps make little to no money at all. This means that the modern mobile developers have to look for ways to promote their applications and games on the mobile market (App Store) to make sure that they start making money from their hard work and won't end up being among thousands of unsatisfied developers.
- That's why we would like to talk about App Store Optimization – a set of practices used to promote mobile applications and games in the subtle, yet working way to improve their position on the market and start making money from their hard, honest work.
Main ASO practices
- There aren't that many practices involved in app store optimization, but it's important to get them right from the start to make sure that the performance of your app gets boosted in the way you expect it to be. Today, app search optimization mainly consists of:
- Keyword Optimization
- Asset Optimization
Additionally, the following practices can be used to enhance the current effects:
- Incentive Traffic
Let's take a closer look at what you should do to pull this off and start getting the fruits of your hard work from your application or game. Remember – it's all doable as long as you're willing to invest the time into it.
- This should be the first step in your mobile marketing campaign. Start by researching the relevant keywords and using the trending ones in the tags field and app description as organically as you can to make sure that the app gets easier to find and ranks higher in the search results.
- There are several things you should keep in mind just to make sure this will end up being useful to you and the keyword optimization works just as expected. Keep this in mind, because otherwise it may negatively affect the overall performance of your application or game:
- The description must be organic. Don't pile keywords together, because it won't attract the users. Instead, focus on writing an interesting description that can be updated with new keywords later – focus on captivating the reader rather than just promoting your application or game;
- Update keywords after a while to make sure that the flow of traffic remains more or less stable and attracts more users;
- If the results aren't as satisfying, do deeper research and replace the keywords with better ones. It takes some trial and error to get it right, but after some practice you should get a grip on it;
- It should be done. Like it or not, keyword optimization is one of the main steps of app store optimization and it will determine how well the remaining steps will work. Use it wisely.
With keyword optimization done, let's take a look at other methods available.
- Asset Optimization is all about picking the more attractive assets (the app icon, screenshots and the preview video) to convince the user to install the app. Make a better icon by making a better shape and adding effects, pick screenshots that tell a story and consider doing more work on the preview video – spend more than an hour or so making it, and if you can't make it look professional, then consider hiring a freelancer to pull it off.
- Consider supporting the following languages as soon as possible:
Use freelance translation services to get the best quality for an affordable pricing, Make sure to double-check the work history of the translator you're planning to hire – you need to make sure that you're getting quality AND the translation, otherwise you're risking too much for too little.
If you pull this off nicely, expect the increase in the conversion rates and bigger audience.
- If you need to give your app a nice boost in ranks and you want to attract more attention, consider contacting a marketing agency to get the incentive traffic. It should be affordable in most cases, and a few hundreds or thousands of such downloads can easily make a nice change.
In case nothing works, remember – there are no hopeless cases. Consider getting professional marketing treatment if you can't reach the audience on your own. However, we hope you'll be successful in your promotional efforts. Good luck!