- — Future of Research (@FORsymp)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:00:03
- — Corey Welch (@CoreyWelch_STEM)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:01:50
- — Labmosphere (@labmosphere)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:01:59A1: One who encourages and enables us to reach our greatest potential, through kindness and compassion. #MentoringFutureSci
- — Pinar Gurel (@pinar_gurel)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:03:58A1: A mentor trains and prepares you for "the next step" OR whatever skillset you are trying to aquire #mentoringfuturesci
- — Hannah A. Hathaway (@Hans_Hath_A_Way)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:04:29A1: Not only PIs. Can be postdocs, senior grad students, technicians. Anyone who teaches, advises, advocates for mentee. #MentoringFutureSci https://twitter.com/FORsymp/status/907650263313391616 …
- — Future PI Slack (@FuturePI_Slack)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:05:42A1 4/4 since it's hard for one person to be mentor, coach, and sponsor simultaneously, we need many mentors! #mentoringfuturesci
- — Pinar Gurel (@pinar_gurel)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:09:55A2: mentoring is time investment, but ultimately, spending time to mentor experimentally will save time in the longterm #mentoringfuturesci
- — Addgene (@Addgene)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:11:34A2: “Choosing a Good Mentor for Scientists” about choosing advisors that are also mentors http://blog.addgene.org/choosing-a-good-mentor-for-scientists … #mentoringfuturesci
- — Pinar Gurel (@pinar_gurel)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:11:15mentoring not just important for experiments- sometimes best way to learn to write grants/give talks/etc is from mentors #mentoringfuturesci
- — Future PI Slack (@FuturePI_Slack)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:15:01
- — Adriana Bankston (@AdrianaBankston)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:18:45Agree rewarding mentoring should be a priority. I'll share my related blog post here too: https://www.asm.org/index.php/careers-blog/item/6634-valuing-and-rewarding-intangible-activities-in-academic-careers … #mentoringfuturesci https://twitter.com/Addgene/status/907653639757602817 …
- — Corey Welch (@CoreyWelch_STEM)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:19:31
- — Future PI Slack (@FuturePI_Slack)Tue, Sep 12 2017 17:23:33A4: Dedicated training on mentoring and management for ALL stages from undergrad through senior faculty #MentoringFutureSci
#MentoringFutureSci: How should we mentor junior scientists?
This chat was co-hosted by @FoRsymp and @SciNetUCS as part of a broader discussion of what is/isn’t working with respect to mentoring junior scientists, and how we should change the culture of mentoring in science.