- After the USMNT roster was announced, it seemed clear that Brad Guzan would start the U.S. qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico. However, Alexi Lalas seemed confused as to why this might be a given...
- — Alexi Lalas (@AlexiLalas)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:14:01So why is Brad Guzan a better choice than Nick Rimando to start for the #USMNT team? (and you can't use b/c he plays in BPL)
- Despite the fact that Lalas tweeted this at an hour during which most Villa supporters were tucked up safely in their beds, Guzaniacs still rushed to Brad's defense. Within minutes, plenty of excellent reasons came across the twitters.
- — Stevie Green (@doe_ray_egon)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:33:40@AlexiLalas Built like brick wall, cat like reflexes and great command of area. There's a reason Guzan has 14 more caps than Rimando...
- — Mike S. (@Barry_soz)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:34:36@AlexiLalas NOPE.Villa fans are used to someone getting past all their defenders but Guzan almost always makes an impossible save.That's why
- — Pauly Z (@paulzehngut)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:37:25@AlexiLalas no disrespect to Rimando or MLS but Guzan is in great form and has played in more meaningful matches recently. I trust him more.
- — USA Villans (@AstonVillansUSA)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:45:48@AlexiLalas With all due respect to Wondo, Keane, etc., Guzan is stopping shots WEEKLY from some of the best in the world. No contest.
- Lalas was asked why it should be Rimando over Guzan. Guzaniacs had answers to his response for that as well.
- — Mike S. (@Barry_soz)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:46:15@AlexiLalas So what if he's better with his feet? It comes down to actually blocking shots and Guzan has been doing that better than anyone.
- — FranklinD123 (@FranklinD123)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:46:01@AlexiLalas Guzan is really good with his distribution- should both be ahead of Howard because they're better in that aspect?
- — Luke Bennett (@LukeBenoit08)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:47:51Guzan is better with his hands. Nuff said. RT @AlexiLalas: OK, how about b/c he's better with his feet and distribution?
- And this may be the best response of all (and yes, that's the official Brad Friedel account)
- — bradley h friedel (@friedel_b)Sat, Mar 09 2013 16:15:00GK situation US: YOU ARE IN GREAT HANDS WITH GUZAN!!!! If he was also hurt of course I would consider helping until Tim and Brad were fit!!
- And yet...we still have this comment
- Really, though, what it all comes down to is this:
- — Luke Bennett (@LukeBenoit08)Mon, Mar 18 2013 23:34:26
Guzaniacs rush to defend Brad
byKirsten Schlewitz2 Views