College Corner: Cougars, Eagles, Pirates
- One of the key points made by Jeff Tuel at the recent Pac-12 Media Day was that Coach Mike Leach has instilled confidence in the Washington State Cougars football team; something missing before. What wasn't said was that Coach Leach has also brought discipline -- something that deep down, every football player needs. Confidence + discipline = team "cohesion".
- OTHER LINK OF NOTE: Martin Stadium upgrades looking more "like a Pac-12 stadium".
- Hear from Rickey Galvin after yesterday's practice:
There’s nothing easy about two-a-day drills, including giving them up. Seniors Jeff Minnerly and Will Post were almost wistful as the Eastern Washington football team began two-a-day sessions on a warm Monday morning. The sweat was pouring, mixing with the emotion of saying goodbye to a way of life they’ve known every August since they were kids. -Jim Allen, Spokesman-Review
- Whitworth opened their fall camp yesterday with plenty of youthful veterans hungry for a winning season. Last year's losing season (the first since 2003) left a bit of a sour taste in the mouths of the returning players. Coach John Tully is looking forward to a different outcome, including being on the positive side of the close games the Pirates were involved in last season.
Seahawks: National Observation; Broken Man-Law?
- It's one thing to hear what local or regional sportswriters say about the Seattle Seahawks. National writers bring in a bit of a different perspective to the conversation. Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter visited the Seahawks camp recently and shares his observations on the quarterbacks, the speed of practices and the cream of the Seahawks' crop, the defense.
- We've heard of man-cards, but man-law? Indeed, according to former Seahawks' quarterback, Matt Hasselbeck. And the visitor's locker room at Century Link field...well, let's just say the man-law is broken by the Seahawks.
Winning Ways Don't Carry To Safeco For M's
- B.J. Upton hit a two-run homer and Alex Cobb pitched seven strong innings to help the Rays to their season-high seventh consecutive win, 4-1 over the Seattle Mariners on Monday night. -AP (via Yahoo! Sports)
- Zunino-less AquaSox Beat Indians, 5-1
- North Idaho Sports Beat - Vandals, Broncos & More