Key takeaways from today's media briefing: The focus remains on narrowing the search area. With strong cooperation from international partners, the challenge is no longer diplomatic, but technical and logistical.
'We love you but He loves you more': Maira Nari, daughter of Andrew Nari, chief steward MH370, posted on her Twitter account after Prime Minister Najib Razak announced the flight ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
Boeing expresses sadness over MH370 tragedy: "Our thoughts and deepest sympathies continue to be with the families and loved ones of those aboard.
"Boeing continues to serve as a technical advisor to the US National Transportation Board," the aircraft manufacturer said in a statement issued from Seattle.
Latest analysis may narrow down search span to 300 km - CCTV News
China's National Marine Environmental Forecasting Center released a tracing analysis based on satellite images and the suspected floating objects spotted by Australia and China, CCTV reports today.
The analysis might be helpful in the search for the black box of MH370.
According to the analysis, the location of the white object on March 8 should be about 500 km west of where it was spotted by the Chinese plane on March 24. Therefore, the final location of flight MH370 should be within 200-300 km around the traced location.
New statement from Malaysia Airlines: Tan Sri Md Nor Md Yusof, Chairman of Malaysia Airlines:
The painful reality is that the aircraft is now lost and that none of the passengers or crew on board survived.
This is a sad and tragic day for all of us at Malaysia Airlines. While not entirely unexpected after an intensive multi-national search across a 2.24 million square mile area, this news is clearly devastating for the families of those on board. They have waited for over two weeks for even the smallest hope of positive news about their loved ones.
This has been an unprecedented event requiring an unprecedented response. The investigation still underway may yet prove to be even longer and more complex than it has been since March 8th. But we will continue to support the families – as we have done throughout. And to support the authorities as the search for definitive answers continues.
MAS Group CEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, has said the comfort and support of families involved and support of the multi-national search effort continues to be the focus of the airline. In the last 72 hours, MAS has trained an additional 40 caregivers to ensure the families have access to round-the-clock support.
A short while ago Australian Defense Minister David Johnston said 'to this point, no debris or anything recovered to identify the plane'He also said this is an extremely remote part of the world and 'it's a massive logistical exercise.' 'We are not searching for a needle in a haystack. We are still trying to define where the haystack is,' he said.
Meanwhile, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has suspended search for today due to bad weather in the area.
[VIDEO] Prime Minister's full statement on MH370
New statement from Malaysia Airlines, released at 12.30 am on March 25: It
is with deep sadness that Malaysia Airlines earlier this evening had to
confirm to the families of those on board Flight
MH370 that it must now be assumed the flight had been lost. As the
Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this
difficult time. And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority
of the families in advance of the Prime Minister’s
statement in person and by telephone. SMSs were used only as an
additional means of communicating with the families. Those families have
been at the heart of every action the company has taken since the
flight disappeared on 8th March and they will continue
to be so. When Malaysia Airlines receives approval from the
investigating authorities, arrangements will be made to bring the
families to the recovery area and until that time, we will continue to
support the ongoing investigation.