#sxsw: eBay to VC: lessons from the trenches
Pinterest groupon zinga twitter airbnb fab, Facebook.
- Stage agnostic. Goal be in the interesting company.
- Employee 200 at eBay. Love ecommerce, mobile. I'm the consumer guy at Andersseen.
- Pinterest. First is a beautiful thing. Real world discovery. It's all about engagement. Facebook is an accelerator for discovery of new companies.
- — (@kentjlewis)Fri, Mar 09 2012 18:12:59
- Manufacturing seredenpity.
- — (@kentjlewis)Fri, Mar 09 2012 18:12:59Lots of buzz around social discovery apps like Circle & Highlight, although battery drain (& finding value) may be deal-killers. #sxebaytovc
- Pivot is more the rule than the exception.
- Trending area I like, market place, mobile, Fun part of the job, creativity.
- Really important to get an intro. You need to differentiate yourself from the clutter. Metrics help. We have 7B to invest. But it's a ruthless process.
- Seed valuations have gone up significantly. We participate now in TC automatic funding program.
- Don't go global, it has to work somewhere first, unless business is inherently global like Skype.
- Interesting question, is there a new consciousness for no free lunch?
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.