The $2.15 Billion L.A. Dodgers Buy: Social Media Reacts
Basketball legend Magic Johnson led a group that won an auction for the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team Tuesday night. The $2.15 billion bid shatters the previous record sales price for a U.S. sports franchise, Steve Ross's purchase of the Miami Dolphins for $1.1 billion three years ago.
- Magic Johnson broke the news to his Twitter followers Tuesday night, with a tweet linking to the WSJ story. The tweet only included the link -- no other comments. Here it is:
- Here's our story that broke the news:
- Mr. Johnson's tweet was retweeted more than 600 times, and fans immediately responded with words of congratulations:
- Even some celebrities chattered about the news. Including Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie:
- And actor David Boreanaz:
- As details started to emerge on Wednesday about the price of the deal, people were quick to react to the high cost. Several readers responding to a post on WSJ's Facebook account were shocked by the price:
- Twitter users also were surprised by the price tag:
- Many readers are hoping that the Dodgers' new owners will work their magic with the team.
- And there's always the jokers:
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 2 already did!