On Wednesday, the Twitter account became active again to announce Pope Francis. It quickly garnered tens of thousands of retweets.
- Twitter reported that there were 130,000 tweets per minute related to the new pope following his announcement. On Facebook, the top eight most-mentioned terms world-wide were all related to the pope's selection.
- — Twitter Religion (@twitterreligion)Wed, Mar 13 2013 13:50:06
- Commenters and politicians responded to the announcement.
- — Barack Obama (@BarackObama)Wed, Mar 13 2013 13:45:54Obama on Pope Francis: "I look forward to working with His Holiness to advance peace, security, and dignity for our fellow human beings."
- — UK Prime Minister (@Number10gov)Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:32:05PM: A momentous day for the 1.2bn Catholics around the world as His Holiness Pope Francis I is appointed the 266th Bishop of Rome.
- — Nicholas Kristof (@NickKristof)Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:24:55Pope Francis I was innovative in his selection of a papal name. Hope he'll be equally innovative in his policies.
- — Andrew Sullivan (@sullydish)Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:25:11The first Jesuit Pope, named after arguably greatest saint, Francis, and from Latin America. Big precedents. And they give me some hope.
- — Chuck Schumer (@ChuckSchumer)Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:17:34Overjoyed for Catholics everywhere and hopeful that Pope Francis will help foster peace and spirituality across the globe. #HabemusPapem
Many people used the opportunity to crack jokes about selecting the new Pope, including a few famous comedians.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!