In Bombing's Aftermath, Solidarity Spreads on Social Media
After two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon, social media became a place to report information about the events. As the hours wore on, social media users began to spread messages and images of solidarity and hope.
- Google created a "Person Finder" to allow individuals to enter inquiries about people they are searching for in Boston, or to add details about someone's whereabouts. By mid-day Tuesday, about 5,400 records had been created.
- Person Finder: Boston Marathon Explosions I'm looking for someone I have information about someone Currently tracking about 5400 records. Resources related to the 2013 Boston Marathon Explosions • Boston Mayor's Hotline for families of victims: 617-635-4500 • Boston Police line for witnesses who may have information: 800-494-8477 • Red Cross Safe and Well
- And a Google Doc created for Bostonians to list available rooms for stranded runners and Marathoners quickly went viral on social media.
- The hashtag #BostonHelp circulated widely on Twitter as a way to share -- and ask for -- information about services for victims, hotline numbers and donations for support.
- A WSJ video by producer Jason Bellini looked at the Twitter hashtags that spread quickly to support responders and victims in Boston.
- This photo of a projection on the facade of the Brooklyn Academy of Music -- expressing solidarity between New Yorkers and the people of Boston -- was shared over 2000 times.
- In another sign of city solidarity, at New York's City Hall, officials lowered New York's flag and raised the Boston flag to half staff.
- And in front of the Supreme Court, the U.S. flag stood at half staff.
- Amidst the horror, many social media users shared images of hope and inspiration. Here, a first responder carries what appears to be a child; an image taken by Kylie Atwood of CBS News that was retweeted over 340 times.
- This image, of a couple reunited after the explosion, was shared over 1,400 times.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 6 already did!