The social story from #WTSKitzbuehel
It was billed one of the toughest #triathlon's ever, even if Alistair Brownlee and Jodie Stimpson made it look easy with their crushing wins. Here is the social story from that incredible climb up the Kitzbuehel horn.
- Early in the day there was news that reigning ITU World Champion @jonny_brownlee was out of the men's race. That meant a battle between two of the sports most successful athletes, @alibrownleetri & @Jgomeznoya was surely on the cards. After exiting the water near the front together, it was going to plan for the first few kilometres.
But then Alistair pushed off up the hill alone, and kept going in one of the most dominant performances of his career. He finished in 55 minutes, 23 seconds - almost five minutes faster than his pre-race predicted time of 59.
- Behind Brownlee, Mario Mola proved yet again he has much more to his game than a pair of fleet feet by putting in a stellar bike leg. He entered T2 in second and stayed there to claim another silver in 2013 and move himself up into second on the overall rankings.
- Behind Mola, it wasn't a surprise to see master climber Sven Riederer move himself securely into third spot on that leg. He held on to add yet another series medal to his collection, although did have stiff competition from @H_Schoeman, a young South African who claimed his best ever WTS finish in fourth.
- It wasn't a great day for others results-wise, but one thing is for sure - most enjoyed the ride.
- Some even wanted more...
- Watch the highlights all again here.
- Then it was the gals turn. With not much separating the pack in the swim, it was a large lead group for the first few kilometres as Anne Haug's and @nickysamuels pace up front helped force those behind to peel off one by one. Halfway through it came down to a lead foursome of @jodiestimpson, Haug, Samuels and @ejjacko.
With 2km to go, Stimpson made her move and took a 43 second advantage from T2 to her first ITU World Triathlon Series win.
- Catch the Elite Women's highlights here.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.