Jeff: This is a rough-and-ready example of curation.
- My former Chronicle of Higher Ed colleague Jeff Sharlet, now a professor of journalism at Dartmouth College, has been crafting what he calls "Instaessays"--vignettes combining a single Instagrammed image with short prose. It's a stretch for a long-form journalists who writes mostly about religion, but it's fascinating to watch him explore.
- He's begun to get some attention for them:
- I mentioned this in my magazine-writing class at UGA today and my students compared it to Humans of New York.
- The short-form conversation went on from there:
- He's referring to Joseph Mitchell:
- And specifically to his piece on Joe Gould: