Day Six Back To School Bus Tour Across America
The “Education Drives America” Back-to-School Bus Tour takes Secretary Arne Duncan and senior ED staff coast-to-coast. Day six included stops in Columbia and St. Louis, Missouri, Mt. Vernon, Illinois, and Evansville, Indiana. Visit ed.gov/bustour to keep up to date.
- University of Missouri - Columbia, Missouri
- Assistant Deputy Secretary for Innovation and Improvement Jim Shelton participated in a video conference and roundtable discussion with local rural educators and participants in the eMINTS program (enhancing Missouri’s Instructional Networked Teaching Strategies).
- Harris Stowe State University - St. Louis, Missouri
- Deputy Secretary Tony Miller hosted a town hall with community leaders, representatives of faith communities, school officials and students to discuss college access and affordability, especially for African-American students.
- Continental Tire - Mt. Vernon, Illinois
- Deputy Secretary Miller and Sue Liu, special assistant for community colleges in the Office of Vocational and Adult Education, traveled to Continental Tire’s production facility, where they toured the facility and led a roundtable discussion with representatives from the company, Rend Lake College, and other local business and education leaders.
- Glenwood Leadership Academy - Evansville, Indiana
- Deputy Secretary Miller joined a panel discussion on labor management collaboration and community partnership in education. The panel included Miller, Dennis Van Roekel, president of the National Education Association, and local school officials. The audience included teachers, union leaders, parents and community members.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 4 already did!