Fighting Poverty - #EndPovertyFriday
As countries develop, how can we ensure the most vulnerable people are not forgotten? Here are some of the most popular #EndPovertyFriday tweets and Facebook posts. Join the global discussion on fighting poverty- we’d love your input!
- "Between now and 2015, we must make sure that promises made become promises kept. The consequences of doing otherwise are profound: death, illness and despair, needless suffering, lost opportunities for millions upon millions of people" -UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
- "If you neglect those who are currently poor and stable, you may create more poor and unstable people. There has been a tremendous concentration of donor interest in countries that are seen as particularly fragile - but it becomes harder to mobilize money for sub-Saharan, plain poor countries." - Helen Clark
- We focus our efforts on making growth and trade benefit everyone in developing countries, opening up their choices and opportunities.
This is our goal for #EndPovertyFriday.
- A Palestinian woman who participates in a youth employment initiative that aims at socially and economically empowering disadvantaged youth and women in entrepreneurial and managerial skills.
- The lack of income-earning opportunities in Nepal is a central cause of the widespread poverty in the country. Thanks to the Micro-Enterprise Development Programme (MEDEP), 62,000 sustainable jobs could be created.
- "Climate change will hit poor countries the hardest."
This End Poverty Friday, read more from Guardian global development on the new IPCC report on climate change: ow.ly/pguLb
Photo: United Nations Development Programme in Bangladesh
- Thumbs up for the fabulous team at Fabrica who are working hard on our campaign for Anti-Poverty Day!
Can you tell which of our daily themes they are working on here?!
- Bangladesh: 200,000 sugarcane farmers benefited from an SMS system that alerts them when to bring their cane to the market: on.undp.org/iaAAY
- Make better access to affordable & nutritious food a priority for the world by voting at MY World 2015 - and see what others voted for: ow.ly/hekTj
- What can YOU do to fight urban poverty? Register today and join the The World Alliance of Cities Against Poverty in Dublin!
- Did you know that 73% of Somalis are under 30? This is why empowering youth is central to Somalia's future: on.undp.org/h8j03
- Let's work to end poverty - across generations.
- Check out our Facebook album feat. photos from this year's Match Against Poverty - with Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo and more! A packed house at the new Gremio stadium in Porto Alegre, Brazil saw Ronaldo's team beat Zinedine Zidane's team 3-2 on Dec. 19th 2012.
- Check out our photo gallery on fighting poverty on Facebook: on.undp.org/gE3iK
- Interested to learn more about our work around fighting poverty? Click here: