Eric Schlosser on Food Justice
Eric Schlosser spoke for Tufts Hillel's Moral Voices Merrin Distinguished Lecture Series on food justice, their 2012-2013 theme. Schlosser is an investigative journalist and author of best-selling book "Fast Food Nation." In his lecture, he focused on the human injustices behind the food industry.
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 17:19:17Tonight, Schlosser will discuss, "some of the biggest problems we face in this country today: racism, poverty, & unchecked corporate power."
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 17:26:24"Almost every fruit and vegetable... is carefully picked by hand," Schlosser. 90% of the people who pick these are illegal immigrants.
- Schlosser detailed the terrible living and working conditions of illegal immigrants, from earning less than the minimum wage to living outdoors.
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 17:40:40Schlosser's aim in writing fast food nation was to reveal changes within the food system that were hidden, since the food looks the same.
- — walker bristol (@GodlessWalker)Tue, Nov 27 2012 17:52:02Schlosser says "it's sad that there is more public outrage at the industry for the mistreatment of cows than for that of workers."
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 17:57:28"The fast food industry is targeting low income communities & people of color the way tobacco advertisers targeted children" #EricSchlosser
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 18:06:49"We need to increase the minimum wage in this country, to make a living wage & we need to fight against racism & intolerance" -Schlosser
- — Tufts Live (@TuftsLive)Tue, Nov 27 2012 18:42:09Eric Schlosser leaves the podium, a member of Moral Voices wraps up the event. Want to join them next semester? http://www.tuftshillel.org/jl-sg-Moralvoices.asp?ID=31 …el.org/jl-sg-Moralvoices.asp?ID=31
- — Maxine Builder (@maxine_builder)Tue, Nov 27 2012 18:22:51I went in expecting a speech about food, and I got a rant about social justice and the value of community organizing. Couldn't be happier.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.