Twitter celebrates firing of Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke
Brian Burke was fired by the Maple Leafs Wednesday morning, just a few days before the team's training camp was to open this weekend. Though shocked, many fans were thrilled with the news. What do you think? Tweet to us @TorontoStar.
- This is Burke's latest tweet. Spoke too soon?
- NHL players were mostly quiet on Twitter after the news broke.
- Ex-Blue Jay player Jose Conseco also commented, tweeting... a hug? It's the second time in the past week he's been in Toronto news headlines after he tweeted interest (then retracted it) in running for mayor against Rob Ford.
- The Leafs are said to be still very much in the running on a trade with the Canucks for goalie Roberto Luongo, despite Burke’s surprise exit. Dave Nonis was named the Leafs' 14th GM.
- Read MLSE's full announcement on thestar.com:
- With Burke out, many fans responded to the news with a resounding, "About time!"
- Burke's Wikipedia page was updated just minutes after the news broke Wednesday morning to say he was GM from November 2008 to January 2013. He had been entering into his fifth year of a six-year deal.Back in 2008, he had many promises for the future of the Leafs: