Toronto vs. Chicago: Fight! Fight! Fight!
A story about Toronto having a larger population than Chicago quickly turned into a snarky battle on Twitter between a Chicago columnist and the Twitterverse. Toronto vs. Chicago. Humour vs. just plain mean. Here's what happened, blow by blow.
- First, this happened. Toronto officially became the fourth largest city in North America, taking the title from Chicago.
- Then, this happened. A Chicago Sun-Times columnist Neil Steinberg writes wryly on the news, saying that even comparing Toronto to Chicago is “an insult to our city.” His, not ours.
- We followed up with a piece of our own.
- Steinberg's column may have been tongue-in-cheek, but not everyone saw it that way. For example:
- Steinberg retweeted the Star's story about his column, and the discussion on Twitter started getting ugly, with Steinberg replying to many of the tweets. Here's a taste of some of the back-and-forth.