Russian meteor: Twitter reacts with fear, jokes
There was a wide range of response on Twitter Friday to a meteor exploding in Russia -- everything from surprise and horror, to jokes. Here's a roundup of what people are saying online about the meteor, which has left hundreds of people injured.
- This is a sample of some of the footage people shot of the meteor streaking through the sky:
- When the media started reporting these images of the meteor, shock set in for many people around the world.
- So did fear.
- Read what exactly happened here:
A meteor streaked through the sky and exploded Friday over Russia's Ural Mountains with the power of an atomic bomb, its sonic blasts shattering countless windows and injuring hundreds of people. The spectacle deeply frightened thousands, with some elderly women declaring the world was coming to an end.
The meteor — estimated to be about 10 tons — entered the Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000 kph and shattered about 30-50 kilometres above the ground, the Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement.
- As the toll of the injured starting coming in, many in the Twitterverse sent virtual prayers and heartfelt thoughts.
- Meanwhile, those perhaps far away from where the meteor hit took a different tone. A meteor meme took over on Twitter and Instagram as people made jokes -- not about the after-effects or injuries, but about the meteor itself.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 11 already did!
- mcgowanqmy best friend's ex-wife makes $66 every hour on the internet. She has been out of work for eight months but last month her pay check was $19549 just working on...my best friend's ex-wife makes $66 every hour on the internet. She has been out of work for eight months but last month her pay check was $19549 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more here jump30.commore2013-02-19T02:45:21.776Z