Privatize the TTC? Reaction to #StarBigIdeas
Reaction continues toward a #StarBigIdeas pitch to privatize the TTC.
- Readers on the Toronto Star Facebook page continued to talk about our expert Patrick Luciano's idea to privatize the TTC:
- Thousands of people in the city rely on the TTC to get around,to and from work..they need it.By privatizing it,profiteers are well aware that those that need the service will be forced to pay OR..walk.Fares and passes will go up and up,quality and reliability of service will go down,those pulling the strings wont give an atts rass and will ignore the complaints/concerns since they drive their Audis around.Rob from the poor to give more to the rich.Fuc#ing horrible idea.Do something to make it easier for the poor,working poor and students that rely on the TTC for once.Give them a break.Figure something out like a fare or pass reduction..not crank up the costs to inflate profits for those that dont even use the service.
- On the Toronto Star Facebook page after the article ran, most readers weren't too impressed with the idea, although some thought it had merit.
- I'm against privatizing services that aren't supposed to make a profit and targeted to serve the public interest (as in: public transit, healthcare, education). I have seen all of these privatized before and all it benefits is a small percentage of the population (upper classes), making the rich richer, not improving the quality of service in the long run (actually.. it becomes worse because they have no reason to invest the money back in the service since it's a monopoly and they are private entities seeking profit only). So... NO.
- Patrick Luciano comments in today's article: "Notice that the parts of Toronto that are growing are privately owned. That’s why it’s time to unleash the creative, dynamic forces of competition to get a transit system that meets the needs of a growing metropolis. No other great city in the world has as limited an underground system as Toronto. By privatizing public transit the whole system can finally become both effective and a money-maker for the city rather than an enormous expense"
- Ttc is ancient and outdated! I don't think privatizing it is a good idea but we need to put politics aside and really start expanding the subway lines, Scarborough needs reliable transit but so do other parts of the city! Put the petty politics aside and let's build a world class transit system that benefits all of Toronto not just downtown
- City critic Edward Keenan @thekeenanwire were among readers who discussed the idea of privatization:
- Fellow city critic David Topping @dtopping weighed in, and the conversation soon encompassed other city issues:
- Some readers said they would go for it:
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!