#IkeaMonkey meme goes viral
People are having endless amounts of fun with the news that a monkey was spotted running and screaming around an Ikea in North York, wearing a faux shearling coat. In tweets, silly new Ikea slogans, and Photoshopped pictures, it's the water cooler topic of the day in Toronto.
- — Toronto Star (@TorontoStar)Mon, Dec 10 2012 15:00:04
- This is the photo that has gone viral in the GTA and around the world:
"Animal Services identified the monkey as a rhesus macaque, an Asian species that is prohibited in Ontario. The monkeys are known for their ability to live in diverse habitats — although Canadian winters obviously require a warm coat.
"The owner of the primate turned himself in to Animal Services just after 5 p.m. He was charged with owning a prohibited animal, an offence that carries a $200 fine."
- A monkey in a coat at Ikea? Let the one-liners and Photoshopping begin!
- — Colin Halling (@ColinHalling)Mon, Dec 10 2012 14:42:21If Ikea has any business sense at all, it'll be rushing sheepskin coat-wearing toy monkeys to its outlets by Christmas. #Ikeamonkey
- VIDEO: If the Ikea monkey had a soundtrack, would it be this?
- The Ikea monkey makes it down to City Hall...