Social Media's Response to TIME's "We Are Americans" cover
A sample of Twitter and Facebook's reactions to the latest issue of TIME.
- all of you who think that these people somehow snuck into America in some sort of -dead of night suspenseful movie type of way- you're probably dead wrong. A lot of these people entered the US as children. They didn't know it was illegal for them to do so.. they didn't CHOOSE to be illegal immigrants. And a lot of them are struggling with the fact that they have to hide even though they grew up American - just the same as you or I did! Heck, we went to school together! and no one knew. He was just another kid at school. I bet you anything, you ALL probably went to school with, worked with, or were even friends with someone just like Jose. So, reserve judgement before you know all the facts. Don't hate for the sake of hating!
- What part of the word "illegal" do many of you not understand. And, as for the nightmare, er I mean the dream act is a good idea, think about who is responsible. Not me. That childs parents are responsible and the child should hold the parent, not the US taxpayer, responsible. Please return to your countries of citizenship. If you really love and respect the US that much, you will not treat it with disrespect by knowlingly and purposefully doing illegalities.
- As one of those in the photos I'd like to step in and add to the conversation: I am not a hero. I am not an inspiration. I am however American in every sense of the world except for papers. Some will call me undocumented. Some will say illegal immigrants. And some will even add the word alien in there. For me the issue here is more about the 2 millions undocumented youth, those who came here at a young age, like myself at the age of 4 and like many others in the pictures you will see. Look at them. Learn about them. What you will see is those who speak the language, those who LOVE this country, those who ONLY KNOW this country. America already spent the time and money to educate us. America already raised up and again to say the least, we are practically American. Walking down the street you would not be able to tell us apart other than perhaps our skin color (and even then, not so much). What we are asking is, let's have an honest conversation. What we are asking is look at this issue as an humanitarian issue, as a justice issue, as an American issue. Think about it. Where do you want to send us? Perhaps our parents are the guilty ones but us? We don't know the "homeland". We don't know the language, nor the culture, nor the people. We know America. We ask of you to look at us as human beings and see the issue with a new pair of eyes. We ask of you to say "hey, I may actually know someone who is undocumented". Right now, the solution on hand is The Dream Act which will allow us to EARN (no freebies) citizenship. It would allow us a chance to GIVE BACK to this country, the only one we know and love. I often wonder why we look overseas for talent when it is right here in this country. Why are we so eager to help other countries and yet leave alone the people within it? I say, let's have a new conversation. Let's open our heart and eyes and see this with new light. Let us see realize these are human beings we are talking about here. -Roy
- Just sharing my experience with the immigration process: I came here due to political unrest in my country in 1999. Applying for an asylum, got scammed by a lawyer back in Calif., he held my social security # in exchange for the continuation of the immigration court's appeal. I moved to the east coast, reapply the asylum, got it processed...911 hit...took me 7 years to get my green card and another 2 to be a legal US citizen. I know it's almost 10 yrs process, but I am glad I did the right thing.
- let them come out that will make them easier to round up and kick out. when will they understand we dont want them here untill they follow the law of america maybe we should adopt some of the other countries laws for illegals. if you love america so much as you say then fill out the paperwork, learn english, pay taxes, get jobs, get off welfair, get off social security, become responsable americans like the rest of the immigrents that came here legally and if you cant do these simple things that we require of every citizen of this great nation then get the hell out and dont come back
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 8 already did!
- Bhujangarao InagantiWe have to do only one thing to solve this problem-don't hire people to do your day to day economic functions because they are cheap and the new immigrants will...We have to do only one thing to solve this problem-don't hire people to do your day to day economic functions because they are cheap and the new immigrants will automatically slow down. For the people already here trace and deport all criminals and traficckers and treat the rest of the people in a humane way because they are here and already integrated into our economy by documenting them and showing a way to integrate into our society over an extended period. Increase the watch over new immigrants coming illegally to curb illegals.more2012-06-21T20:11:13.941Z
- jvidal89I think is sad to read some of these responses filled with hatred and ignorance. At times we speak without realizing the privilege and power we hold. If not...I think is sad to read some of these responses filled with hatred and ignorance. At times we speak without realizing the privilege and power we hold. If not this issue, we could use other examples in history of how privilege and power has lead into killing, lynching, robbing, and destruction of communities, land, and of people. I bet many of those people do not know much about history, law, and the policy of immigration. I am very thankful for this article; I think it truly gives a platform for people to stand and be open/loving about who they are regardless of their immigration status. Thank you for the awareness you are creating. more2012-06-21T14:33:09.257Z
- Xtah-z On TuíterBy looking at these comments it's clear that to be a "true North American" you need to be a hypocrite. 100% of the people who are even flooding this story with...By looking at these comments it's clear that to be a "true North American" you need to be a hypocrite. 100% of the people who are even flooding this story with downright hateful comments are not even truly Americans, they are U.S. born citizens, which is different from being a Native American (true American). So I would think twice before I pointed my finger to blame.more2012-06-20T06:54:13.229Z
- No Crete PrisonI think you are all very brave and I am in awe at the sacrifices you have made just to become an American. My ancestors came from Germany and England. They came...I think you are all very brave and I am in awe at the sacrifices you have made just to become an American. My ancestors came from Germany and England. They came a long time ago but I know they too made great sacrifices to become Americans. Don't listen to the words of hate. They are afraid of what they don't understand. Keep shining a light on the problems with immigration as it now. I am praying for you.more2012-06-16T14:57:17.218Z
- grant bussellI wonder what the American Indians say when they read the sorts of comments on this board?2012-06-16T01:49:04.759Z
- Vanessa LarsonWow the ignorance of these comments is eye-opening. It makes me ashamed to be an American. Just to clarify, how many of you are of Native American descent...Wow the ignorance of these comments is eye-opening. It makes me ashamed to be an American. Just to clarify, how many of you are of Native American descent? If you are not, then you were at one time an illegal immigrant. In fact, this country is founded on illegal immigrants from countries all over the world. Remember where you came from and show some awareness of the world around you.more2012-06-15T20:40:01.346Z