Virginia Tech Shooting
For the second time a gunman has struck on the campus of Virginia Tech. Two people have been killed and the school is in lockdown
- Shooter already dead? 4:30pmRoanoke TV reporting weapon found by 2nd body - quotes annonymous police officer saying shooter is dead. Officials only saying: No immediate threat.
Update: Statement from Virginia State Police
(Posted: 4:48 p.m.)
Virginia State Police responded to Virginia Tech in reference to a shooting in reference to a Virginia Tech police officer being shot and killed while on a traffic stop at the Cassell Coliseum parking lot on Spring Road. Virginia Tech police requested that the Virginia State Police assume primary responsibility for the investigation of the incident.
The individual fled that crime scene in the direction of a second crime scene a quarter of a mile away, where a male body was found at that location with a gunshot wound.
The Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation out of Salem are currently at both crime scenes. Also, our tact team, canine units, and patrol are currently on the Virginia Tech campus assisting the Virginia Tech Police Department.
We are in the early stages of the investigation, and we don’t have any additional details at this time.
The officer is a four-year veteran of the Virginia Tech Police Department and was assigned to patrol.
(Note: police confirmed finding a gun by the 2nd body and confirmed that there was "no longer an active threat")
- VT Officials: Police still hunt gunmen - school still locked downThe school's latest statement: 3:09pmAlert remains in place. Stay where you are
There are no new substantiated reports of suspicious or criminal activity. Status of the shooter remains unknown. Police continue to ask the university community to stay where they are and secure in place.
Law enforcement continues to search for the shooter and help to secure the campus.
- NOTE: Togerson Bridge is a walkway between the library and an alumni hall. It's wide enough that it includes study areas along its length.
- Correction:Photo below was widely tweeted and retweeted - but an hour later school paper issued a correction: the pic was from the 2007 shooting, not today's.
- @collegiatetimes - The Virginia Tech student paper is live tweeting from the scene. After the first round of shooting (shortly after noon) another series of shots (mulitple) was heard at Squires, a building on campus. Students were relocated into a safe room in Squires. @collegiatetimes staff posted this photo of a SWAT truck arriving on the scene
- Photos from Collegiate Times staff in lockdown with other Virginia Tech students in Torg Bridge building. View more here:
- Video posted of the shooting scene by a student shortly after police locked it down
- Collegiate Times reporters backing down from reports of multiple gunshots after school says they're unfounded
- Officials confirm two dead
- Offiical Statement from Virginia Tech released at 1:51pmBLACKSBURG, Va., Dec. 8, 2011 – Shortly after noon today, a Virginia Tech police officer stopped a vehicle on campus during a routine traffic stop in the Coliseum parking lot near McComas Hall
During the traffic stop. the officer was shot and killed. There were witnesses to this shooting.
Witnesses reported to police the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased.
Several law enforcement agencies have responded to assist. Virginia State Police has been requested to take lead in the investigation
The status of the shooter is unknown. The campus community should continue to shelter in place and visitors should not come to campus.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.