Syria: The Violence Continues in #Homs
After a week of violence, pro-government forces show no signs of backing down in their assault in the town of Homs.
- Pro-government forces are shelling homes across Homs, targeting neighborhoods like Baba Amr, with hopes of rooting out those coordinating the opposition. In the first video below, an rocket rips into a multi-floor apartment building.
The closer one gets, you realize the high-pitched whrrrrrrrl of the rockets ripping through the air is absolutely terrifying. This video conveys the helplessness one must feel.
This Twitter user shared two photos purporting to be missiles and the fragments of shells fired upon the civilians in the Babaamr neighborhood of Homs.
- As a result of the relentless onslaught, hundreds of Syrian citizens are losing their lives--from bullets, blasts, and rubble. On Tuesday, according to CNN editor and reporter Nick Valencia, 35 people died--including an entire family in Homs.
Nearly 1,000 have reportedly been killed since the violence increased last week.
But the onslaught is never-ending.
- Some tweeters offered some historical context.
- Wednesday was fairly quiet. But Thursday things got far, far worse.
- And as before, many out on the streets carry cell phones and digital cameras to capture the horrors they encounter. Because of their constant presence, YouTube is awash in videos of the dead and the dying, put there by eye-witnesses to tell the world of the crimes that are happening every day in Homs. Watch them, and you can see how very real their terror is.
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES AND VIDEOS ARE VERY GRAPHIC. PLEASE TAKE CARE IN SCROLLING FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE.
- With the hellfire raining from above, many Syrians have been seriously injured and rushed to local field hospitals--many running low on supplies. Scores of others lost their lives, burried in the rubble of their homes.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.